DIY Gardening tips
Our beautiful Canadian Spring season brings rain, shine, and the perfect weather for getting started on your gardening! So many people seem to be concerned about the costs of making their backyard perfect for company and relaxing summer nights, but it doesn’t have to be expensive at all! We are happy to bring you these simple DIY gardening tips will make you proud to bring friends and family into your fresh space – plus you can rest easy knowing it didn’t break the bank!
- Fire Pit – Who doesn’t want one of these in their yard? Fire pits offer the perfect summer evening; sitting outside with friends or family roasting marshmallows and hot dogs and having great conversation! This project is so easy and be completed in a few hours!
- Rain Barrel – While this won’t be where you entertain your guests, having a rain barrel to save and accumulate water is a fantastic idea. Plants thrive on natural water so saving up this FREE water is ideal for watering lawns and gardens. A lot of communities across Canada face water restrictions during the hot summer months, and this great tool will help so your greenery doesn’t suffer. Make it yourself with an old garbage bin or large container!
- Garden Maintenance – Do you struggle to get rid of weeds in your garden and better yet, have them stay away? Weed killers and lawn care products can get expensive and add up quickly when you have to purchase them every few months. Try using a home-remedy like vinegar. It’s environmentally friendly and guaranteed to get those weeds out fast!
- Basket Gardens – If you have any children or animals around the house, it’s easy to give up on the idea of having a garden because you know it will likely get destroyed. We’re here to tell you that you don’t have to forgo growing your own fruits and vegetables! A lot of small fruits such as raspberries and strawberries thrive in hanging baskets. As long as they still get the sunshine they need, and you can water them without hassle, you won’t have to worry about them getting trampled by tiny feet or paws. For some directions on how to grow your berries in a hanging basket, click here!
5. Landscaping – A plain backyard is not nearly as fun as one that has some colour and design! An easy fix to spice up your space would be to create different sections. If you have a garden going, separate it from the rest of your lawn with some edging – it can be rocks or pieces of wood – to create a more purposeful and crisp atmosphere. You can get as creative as you want – the limit is your imagination! Or, check this helpful guide for ideas more ideas.